Notes, comments, and thoughts about the issue. Additional comments are
Issue #13 (Chapter 9 in the Green Book)
- Page 4-5 -- Not a real note, but if M'Oak ever makes a poster or
something out of these pages, I'm in line.
- Page 6 -- The small writing around the frame reads, "Morthlanue
and Jale rode on / Yarnhurst pale in the bitter dawn." Hyeh? Anyone
know what that means?
Update from M'Oak: that Morthalanue & Jale thing was the
inspiration of a VERY late night. I had plans to publish line by line a
poem/story about the genesis of Soracia's swords at the bottom of selected
pages. Nix on that. I don't much like that obviously cryptic stuff.
Gets in the way of the story.
- Page 10 -- When she decides to fly Rubel around and force her way into
the teahouse, Soracia says, "Punishment be da--".
Presumably, "Punishment be damned." Punishment from who?
- Page 14 -- When exactly did Quinton plan all this? Before Heath?
After? It's quite elaborate, in any case.
- Page 15 -- Soracia: "I truly believe that [Quinton] has only
half a soul." As the Queen of Halves, presumably that's all
Soracia has as well. Could they each have half of one soul?
- Page 15-17 -- "You live separate... You live in the
forest." Followed by a lecture on loneliness, concluded with
"I am always, always, in the forest." We've seen
her out of the forest any number of times, right? So this shouldn't be
taken literally. But what is the metaphor she is getting at here, and why
does it affect her ability to have friends?
- Page 18 -- Since Soracia is over one thousand years old, in what sense
is she mortal? Because she was, at one time, born?
- Page 18 -- Why is Soracia forbidden from Nove?
- Page 19 -- "If we don't take care of each other, then we're
just inviting them to use us up again.". Has Rubel been used up
before, or is Soracia projecting her experiences onto Rubel?
- Page 19 -- What does Soracia think that King Rillon knows where Katara
- Letter's Page -- the opening illustration has a mini Gorgon head
behind Varkias. Is this how he was turned to metal (although I thought
that was Soracia's doing...)
- Some quickie answers from the letters pages: Heath isn't Katara or an
ancestor, it's apparently more complicated than that, Heath wasn't
causing the magic in the cave, but it wouldn't have happened without her
(she served as a foci of sorts, maybe?), Quinton was not causing
the magic in the cave, and we're not going to see any more of Rubel's
- Another Letter's Page note -- thievery in Highborn is apparently
punished by the removal of some fingers... ouchie stingie.
- Inside Back Cover -- the scene that he says will appear in the
"next issue" doesn't. Maybe in #15?
KhariSamps@aol.com - Varkias to stone theory.
Sol Foster (email@example.com) - Soracias bering punished, question about
Quinton's planning, Quinton/Soracia sharing a soul, Soracia's "in the
forest" monologue, questions on Soracia's mortality, her persona non
grata status in Nove, the inviting to be used up comment, and King Rillion
knowing where Katara would be.
Read a review of this issue.
Back to Issue Information